Making Simple Curtain


I decided to try to sew my bedroom curtain a few years ago, since I was tight on budget and my tailor cousin was busy. I decided to sew two layered curtain, which consist of thin an bright layer on the out viewing and dark and thicker layer on the inside view.

So I went to buy dark purple fabric and thin white fabric for my project. I also bought a beautiful curtain belt (I think that is the name)  made from beads. I bought about 12 meters of fabrics for each types. It is for our 2 windows which has 3 doors each.

I asked my tailor cousin to teach me sew the curtain. The description is as per below.

For window with 3 doors, we will make 2 pieces of curtain for each type of fabric. This mean for a 3 doors window I sew 4 pieces of curtains. 2 purple curtains and 2 white thin lining curtains. Here I just explain the method to sew the purple curtain since the same method was used for both purple and white curtain. The method described here is used to sew 4 pieces of curtain for 2 windows with 3 doors. 

Determine your curtain length. I want it 2 meters long including hem. So I need 12 meters of fabric for my two windows. The calculation is as below:

  • For a 3 doors window we need 2 pieces of curtains. 

  • For 1 piece of curtain we need 1 and half piece (width) of fabric with designated length. For example if you buy a fabric with width 60 inch then for 1 piece of curtain you will need a piece of [60 inches width x desired length] and a piece of [(60/2) inches width x desired length] of fabric. 

  • Hence we will need 3 pieces of fabric with desired length for a 3 doors window. 

  • And for 2 windows with 3 doors we will need 6 pieces of fabric. 

  • I want my curtain to be 2 meters length including seams so I will need 12 meters of fabric. 


Divide and cut the 12 meters fabric into six pieces. You will get 6 pieces of 2 meters length fabric.

Cut 12 meters fabric into 2 meters fabric to get 6 pieces of fabric.

Then, to sew 1 piece of curtain we will use 1 and half of the fabric.
6 pieces of fabric with desired length.

Then from 6 pieces of fabric, take 2 pieces.

Take 2 from the 6 pieces of fabric and divide it in two equal width. Cut it to get 4 new pieces of fabric. 

And, divide it into half, based on its width. For example if the fabric width is 60 inches, you cut the fabric into 30 inch width.

4 pieces of fabric with half of initial length.

Now you have 4 pieces of 2 meters long and 30 inches width fabric. Plus 4 other 2 meters length and 60 inches width fabric. Total is 8 pieces fabric with two types of sizes. Side stitch all the pieces using side stitch machine, zig-zag stitch or fold 1/4 inch of the fabric 2 times and run a straight stitch with sewing machine. 

Sew 1 pieces of 60 inch width fabric with 1 piece of 30 inch fabric. 

Then, take one 60 inches fabric and 1 30 inches fabric and sew them together at the long side (2 meters). Repeat with other pieces.
Then now you already have 4 pieces of curtains. Sew the side seams of the curtains. 

Now you will have 4 pieces of sewed fabric. 

Sew the insert lining at the top and inside (backside) of your curtain. Make sure the orientation of the curtain is correct.

Sew the lining on top and inside of your curtain.

Make sure the orientation of your curtain is correct before sewing the lining. 

Then, sew the hem at the bottom end of your curtain. You can either sew narrow or wide hem, up to your preferences.

Sew the hem at the end bottom of the curtain. 

Now your curtain is done and ready to be used. 

Then your curtain is done and ready for use.

Comments

Popular Posts